This page shows and explains most features.
Click on a feature to get more information to it.
- Ready to use lod systemImplementing QuickLod is as easy as adding a few components. You don’t need to write a single line of code, everything is already available.
- Unlimited lod levelsYou can define as many LOD levels as you want. Whether you use two levels for a brick or 10 levels for a building is up to you.
- Multiple camerasSplit screen games, surveillance camera, MMO… QuickLod supports an infinite amount of cameras at once.
- Multiple LOD object typesQuickLod offers for various situations specialized Lod Objects. This helps you to get the most out of your game.
- Child replacement (Similar to LodGroups)
- Mesh replacement
- Skinned mesh replacement
- Child activator/deactivator
See here for more information.
- Component managementNot only meshes can be managed, but also single components. Want a particle system with reduced quality at a certain distance? Want to deactivate a lamp when it’s far away? It’s all possible with QuickLod
- Group SwitchWhen distance based deactivation is not enough, you can always use the group switch. This gives you even finer control over when objects are deactivated.
- TriggersThey are used to control the group switches.
- Collision trigger
- Distance trigger
- Mobile friendlyThe performance usage is highly optimized. Additionally you can define how much performance QuickLod can use. This and more makes QuickLod a good choice for mobile 3D games
- Individual distance multipliersThere’s a global distance multiplier, but additionally each camera has its own distance multiplier. This allows you to zoom a single camera or lower the view distance of another one.
- Automated FoV supportYou can restrict QuickLod to only manage objects in front of a camera instead of all objects around it. This can be automated by observing the camera component.
- Automated zoom supportWhen you zoom the camera by changing the FoV, QuickLod can automatically adjust the local distance multiplier to keep the quality the same.
- InstantOC compatibleYou can use QuickLod together with InstantOC.
This feature is currently in beta phase and not fully functional
- Constant time complexity → O(1)It doesn’t matter how many objects are in your scene. QuickLod has a constant time complexity, which means that it won’t use more CPU resources when you add more objects. This is especially useful when you want to create big and/or detail rich scenes.
- Works in editorQuickLod works in the editor as it works in the game. This allows you to try all settings directly without starting the game. It also helps with lagging editors duo to large scenes.
- Multiple viewportsWhen working in the editor, you can use as many scene views as you want.
- Lod level previewYou can preview all LOD levels directly with a slider.
- Custom inspector editor for all componentsAll components come with a custom inspector to simplify the work process
- GizmosWant to see what QuickLod does? Do you have problems with the setup or does something not work? With over 10 editor gizmos, you can see exactly what happens.
- Automatic lod level setupThe LOD levels can be generated automatically. When you add a component, it will try to set itself up.
- Automatic distance optimizationThe LOD level distances and camera view distances can be automatically optimized.
- Light map supportQuickLod can prepare your scene for light mapping. Although it just activates the high quality LOD level, this can already save a lot of time.
- Checks for valid inputAll components check for valid input. This prevents long searching for bugs caused by invalid user inputs.
- Full source code includedQuickLod comes with the full source code. There are no dll’s and you can read and edit everything.
- Built as frameworkQuickLod is built as a framework. You can expand it by reusing existing classes and helper methods.
- Base classes availableMost components derive from base classes. Those base classes do most of the work. You can create new components which inherit from those base classes and they will be compatible with all other QuickLod components.
- Fully commented source codeAll classes, fields, properties, methods, constructors, enums, constants, etc. are fully commented. Code parts are commented so that you can study the code more easily.
- With ReSharper and StyleCop formatted codeUsing tools such as ReSharper and StyleCop, the code has a standardized format.
- Full API documentation with code examplesThe whole API is documented with remarks and code examples. The API documentation can be found here.
- Ready to use eventsThere are multiple events you can use. This can be used to react to distance changes and LOD level changes immediately.